Friday, March 13, 2009

Brrrr. No matter how bright and sunny and warm-ish it is during the day here in San Francisco it seems like the Pacific never fails to pull a blanket of cold fog over us at bedtime. But at least it is beautiful. Say what you will about light pollution, but a glowing fog monstrous fluffing itself over the populated hills of this city at night is gorgeous; dreamy bizarre gorgeous.

Today was gorgeous in the traditional sunshiny birds-chirping blossoms-blossoming sense. I went with my consort for a little field trip over the bridge (the pretty one) and enjoyed a very California-y feeling. We were discussing how California is, very sensibly, the kind of place you can't see a good reason to ever leave. Whereas where I grew up... well the rest of the world seemed extremely enticing. It boggles my mind that so many of my elementary/high school classmates still live a stones throw from the town where we grew up. Not that it's not beautiful. It is. It's just... where we STARTED. If you believe that life is a journey, then you have to start GOING somewhere. It doesn't matter where. Just pick a point and go, and while you're getting there you find yourself journeying and that's the point. Maybe they all think of this more metaphorically than I do. Maybe I'm too literal. I can't fault them, really. Maybe they're more at home with themselves so that they didn't have to go looking for a place that felt more like home than where they showed up on the scene. What do I know?
What do I know besides New England is where the settlers from Europe landed and stuck with because they were too exhausted and sick to go any further? Maybe I don't even know that. History is faulty. But still, there's just something so... puritan about New England still. California though... it took another couple generations of wilder ones to set out for the west. Now THAT appeals to me. Weird black hats and big shoe buckles aren't the proper attire for that sort of adventure. More like wide-brimmed hats and a lust for shiny rocks. Oh nevermind, I don't know what I'm talking about. All that mythology aside, I'm happy I live here now. That's all I wanted to say. I love you, California. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment